This easy method for making Air Fryer Chicken Sausages gives the absolute best results! Whether you're cooking on a busy weeknight, or need a quick and easy way to meal prep a budget-friendly protein, this is the best way to get juicy sausages every single time.
If you're on a budget or looking for easy sources of lean protein, chances are you've discovered chicken sausages. High in protein, but lower in calories and fat, these are a great option for quick weeknight meals, or to have prepared for lunches throughout the week.
This air fryer chicken sausage recipe is perfect because it's ready in less time, is extra crispy, and can be made with little prep or cleanup. What's not to love?
Why Chicken Sausages are Best in the Air Fryer:
- Texture. Chicken sausages have the best "pop" when cooked in an air fryer, with a crispy skin just like traditional pork sausages.
- Super quick. Ready in roughly half the time of baking or even pan-frying, the air fryer method is the quickest and easiest way to prepare them.
- No fuss. You won't need to add any extra oil, flip them a bunch, or clean up a grease-splattered cook top after.
- Chicken sausages: There are so many different types of chicken sausages, and they are all easy to prepare in the air fryer! I'll be talking mostly about the raw kind in a casing, but you'll also find instructions for chicken breakfast sausages or pre-cooked ones.
Before you start: Preheat your air fryer basket to 350ºF (177ºC) for 3 minutes (or according to your manufacturer's instructions).
- Add the chicken sausages in a single layer.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes, or until each sausage reaches a minimum internal temperature of 165ºF (74ºC).
- Optional: Flip or shake the basket halfway through the cooking time for the best results.
For extra crispy sausages, increase the heat to 400ºF (204ºC) and cook for 8-10 minutes.
Add any leftover sausages to an airtight storage container and place in the refrigerator. They should keep for 3-4 days.
Reheating: Reheat in a 350ºF (177ºC) air fryer for 4-7 minutes, or until heated through. You can also reheat them in a microwave or in a hot skillet if desired.
What to Serve with Chicken Sausages
- Bell peppers (or mini peppers)
- Favorite condiments (mustard, ranch dressing, barbecue sauce, etc)
- Green beans
- Broccoli florets
- An assortment of your favorite veggies
- Cheese (cheddar, brie, or colby)
- Baked sweet potatoes
- Cottage cheese
Chicken sausage links (or breakfast sausages). Cook for 7-9 minutes in an air fryer that has been preheated to 400ºF (204ºC), or until browned with a minimum internal temperature of 165ºF (74ºC)
Turkey sausages. These can be cooked in the exact same way as chicken sausages, just be sure to check the internal temperature to ensure a minimum of 165ºF (74ºC) is reached.
Precooked chicken sausage. If your sausages are precooked or smoked, you can cook these for less time than if you were to use raw chicken sausage. Start checking at around the 6 minute mark.
Chicken apple sausage: This is simply a flavor variation and can be cooked using the basic instructions.
Main Dish Ideas
If you're looking for a delicious meal idea, there are so many options that use chicken sausages. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Sausage and peppers. Saute (or air fry) onions and peppers, and serve over hot cooked rice.
- Pasta dishes. Dice any leftover chicken sausage and add it to your favorite pasta recipes.
- With a bun. Serve on a warm or toasted bun, along with any condiments you would serve with hot dogs.
- With marinara. Coat with marinara (and serve with peppers and onions) and scoop into a steamed bun or hoagie.
If you loved this recipe for Air Fryer Chicken Sausages, let me know by leaving a 5-star review in the recipe card or comment below! You can also tag me on Instagram @dashfordinner.
Air Fryer Chicken Sausages
- 5 chicken sausages or desired amount
- Preheat your air fryer to 350ºF (177ºC) for at least 3 minutes, or according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Optional: Add 2-3 tablespoons of water to the bottom of your air fryer to reduce smoking.
- Place the desired amount of chicken sausages into the air fryer basket, leaving about ½” or more of space between each one.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes, or until a meat thermometer reaches a minimum internal temperature of 165ºF (74ºC) in each of the chicken sausages.
- For the best results, turn the sausages halfway through.
- Remove from the air fryer and cool for 1-2 minutes before serving.
Please note that some of my blog posts here at Dash for Dinner may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I will get a small commission at no additional cost to you. Please see my Disclaimer for more information.