This easy 4 ingredient recipe for air fryer sausage and peppers is the ULTIMATE weeknight dinner idea. Ready in just 25 minutes, and easy to customize to your dietary needs, this easy dinner recipe will become a regular member of the weekly meal plan. Made with smoked sausage, colorful and crisp bell peppers, and onions, it's a veggie packed air fryer dinner that is sure to satisfy.
I fell in love with my air fryer for making perfectly crisp French fries, but my absolute favorite way to use this handy appliance is by using it to cook quick and easy meals.
The air fryer makes the perfect companion when it comes to weeknight meals. It makes both easy and quick work of staple meals like chicken fajitas, chicken breasts, and this easy 4 ingredient recipe for air fryer sausage and peppers.
I can get dinner on the table with minimal chopping, minimal prep work, and minimal ingredients. I don't know about you, but for me that checks ALL the boxes!
This recipe for sausage and peppers in the air fryer is SO simple to make, and can work great for dietary restrictions. Easily gluten free, dairy free, keto, or low carb, this is the perfect meal idea for a family that has a variety of restrictions and allergies. It's also perfect for meal prep, as it reheats really well.
Best of all though? It's ready in just 25 minutes and filled with fresh veggies. You can even add more veggies of your choice (mushrooms would be a good addition!) to amp up the fiber and nutrition.
- Smoked sausage: You will need about 1 pound of smoked sausage to make this recipe, which works out to about 5 average sized sausages. If you want this recipe to be gluten free or dairy free, check the packaging and select sausages that are free from added gluten or dairy. They should be fully cooked.
- Bell peppers: Select your favorite colors. I like the bright, colorful ones, so I used yellow, orange, and red.
- Onion: Although I used regular yellow cooking onions for this recipe, you could easily substitute that for red onions if desired. I've tried it both ways and they both taste great!
- Avocado oil: Or any other neutral flavored oil. This coats the onions and peppers, helping them to brown evenly all over. You can leave out the oil if desired, but the peppers and onions will now brown as nicely.
How to Make Sausage and Peppers in an Air Fryer
How to Make Air Fryer Sausage and Peppers with Onions:
- Add sliced peppers and onions to a very large bowl and toss to combine.
- Add 1 pound of sliced smoked sausages.
- Pour in 1 tablespoon of avocado oil (or neutral tasting oil of your choice).
- Toss everything together to combine.
- Add half to an air fryer that has been preheated to 390ºF and cook for 13-15 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through.
- Remove the cooked sausage and peppers from the air fryer, and repeat with the remaining half.
- Serve and enjoy!
Variations and Substitutions
- Air Fryer Italian Sausage and Peppers: Use Italian sausage instead of the smoked sausage, and be sure to keep whole (since they are uncooked). Use 1 ½ sliced bell peppers, 1 medium onion, and 2 Italian sausage links at a time, and cook at 390ºF for 13-18 minutes, or until the sausage reaches a minimum internal temperature of 160ºF. Remove from the air fryer, and work in batches with the remaining Italian sausages if desired.
- With Marinara Sauce: Warm some marinara sauce in the stove or the microwave, and add to a bowl. Toss with the finished sausage and peppers and serve on hoagie rolls or with cooked pasta.
- With Chicken Sausage: Feel free to substitute the standard pork smoked sausage with chicken sausage if desired.
- Gluten Free: Check the packaging of your sausages, and select a brand that is free of gluten-containing additives and fillers.
- Dairy Free: Check the packaging of your sausages, and select a brand that is dairy free.
- Low Carb/Keto: Verify your smoked sausages are free from added sugar, and low in net carbs.
Storing and Reheating
You can keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days, or stored in the freezer for up to 2 months. If freezing, allow the sausage and peppers to cool to room temperature before adding to a plastic freezer bag or freezer container. Then, label and add to the freezer.
To reheat your leftover sausage and peppers, add them to an air fryer that has been preheated to 300ºF. Cook for 5-10 minutes, or until heated through. You can also reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop, if desired. If reheating from frozen, allow to thaw first.
What to Serve with Sausage, Peppers, and Onions:
- Cooked rice
- Mashed potatoes
- Cooked pasta
- Roasted potatoes
- Hoagie rolls
- Steamed vegetables
- Cauliflower rice
- Zoodles (AKA zucchini noodles)
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can air fry sausage and peppers! You can either add the pepper slices (and onions) at the start of cooking, or halfway through if you like your vegetables a little more crisp.
Yes, sausages cook very well in the air fryer. Smoked sausages cook in less time, while uncooked Italian style sausages take longer. The most important thing is to give the sausages ample room so they brown evenly and completely cook through.
To cook sliced smoked sausage in the air fryer, preheat the fryer to 390ºF and add the sliced sausages. Cook for 8-12 minutes, or until completely heated through and slightly browned. For uncooked sliced sausages, cook for 8-15 minutes, or until the sausages reach a minimum internal temperature of 160ºF.
More Easy Air Fryer Dinner Ideas
- Air Fryer Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Air Fryer Salmon Patties
- Rotisserie Style Chicken in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Pigs in a Blanket
- Air Fryer Pork Chops - Well Plated
Air Fryer Sausage and Peppers
- 1 pound smoked sausage cut into slices
- 3 rainbow bell peppers seeded and sliced
- 2 medium onions peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or any neutral flavored oil
- Preheat your air fryer to 390ºF for at least 3 minutes, or according to your manufacturers instructions.
- Add the sliced peppers and sliced onions to a large bowl and toss to combine.
- Add in the smoked sausage slices.
- Add in the avocado oil and toss everything together until well coated and evenly distributed.
- Add half of the mixture into the basket of your air fryer (if you have a small model), and cook for 13-15 minutes, or until the sausage is warmed through and browned lightly.
- Shake the basket at the halfway mark to encourage even cooking and browning.
- Remove the cooked sausage and peppers from the air fryer basket with clean tongs, and repeat with the remaining half.
- Serve and enjoy as is, or with pasta, marinara, or rice if desired.
Please note that some of my blog posts here at Dash for Dinner may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I will get a small commission at no additional cost to you. Please see my Disclaimer for more information.