This easy and healthy recipe for Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas is sure to become a regular feature on your weekly meal plan! Packed with veggies and ready in just 30 minutes, this family friendly meal is easy to make keto, low carb, gluten free or dairy free.
When it comes to preparing easy, healthy, and delicious meals throughout the week, there is no greater hero than your air fryer! This little tool helps cook food more quickly, and provides a delicious crispiness that isn’t often achieved with regular oven style cooking.
These air fryer chicken fajitas are the perfect easy and healthy meal. They are made with just a few simple ingredients, are easy to customize to your dietary preferences, and taste great. In fact, they are always a hit for my picky eater!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Ready in just under 30 minutes – prep time included!
- Easy enough to prepare after a long day. You can even buy the veggies pre-chopped to save time.
- Versatile enough that it can be customized to accommodate different dietary needs and allergies. It’s easily made gluten-free, dairy-free, keto, low carb, or even paleo.
- Uses just 5 simple ingredients, making it easy to prep AND easy on the wallet.
- Chicken breast: You’ll need 1 pound (454g) of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into strips. This works out to about 2 breasts.
- Onion: You can use whatever style you have on hand. I used a yellow cooking onion but sweet onions and red onions work great too!
- Bell peppers: You’ll need about 2 bell peppers cut into slices. I recommend using different colors so the dish looks vibrant and yummy!
- Taco or Fajita seasoning: I include in the recipe my quick and easy fajita blend of seasonings, but you can use store-bought taco or fajita seasoning if preferred.
- Avocado oil: Or any other favorite cooking oil.
- Air Fryer: I have enjoyed using the Ninja XL basket fryer and use it to prepare all of my air fryer recipes. If you’re looking for an oven-style model, this one has great reviews.
How to Make Chicken Fajitas in an Air Fryer
To get started, preheat your air fryer to 390ºF (200ºC) for at least 3 minutes or according to your manufacturers instructions. I like to start this after I’ve sliced the peppers, onions, and chicken breast but before I bring it all together with the seasoning and oil. This gives ample time for the air fryer to heat up.
Add the oil to a large bowl, and then add in your prepared fajita seasoning (or the individual spices listed in the recipe). Stir everything together until it becomes a sort of paste.
Add the sliced chicken breast to the oil and seasoning mixture and toss to coat the chicken with the seasonings.
Add the sliced onion and sliced peppers into the bowl along with the seasoned chicken pieces.
Toss the veggies together with the seasoned chicken until they are very lightly coated and the mixture is well combined.
Air Frying the Fajitas
Add the entire mixture to the basket of your preheated air fryer (or spread into an even layer if you have an oven-style model).
If your air fryer is small, try working in batches to ensure even cooking. You want everything to be nicely browned with some crispy bits.
Cook the fajita filling for 15-17 minutes at 390ºF (200ºC), shaking the basket at least once during the cooking time to ensure everything is evenly cooked and browned.
Check the internal temperature of the thickest pieces of the chicken breast to ensure it reaches a minimum of 165ºF (74ºC)
Serve and enjoy with tortillas, rice, or salad and your favorite fajita toppings!
The Best Toppings for Fajitas
You can serve your fajita mixture on a classic tortilla (flour or corn), on a bed of rice, or even over shredded lettuce to make a tasty fajita salad. You can serve whatever toppings you like for your fajitas, but here are a few of the most popular:
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Crumbled cotija cheese
- Pico de gallo
- Diced onions
- Shredded cabbage
- Avocado slices
Variations and Substitutions
Keto and Low Carb: The recipe as written is pretty low carb! If you’re keto you may want to watch the amount of bell pepper and onion, but for most people it’s not too many carbs. Serve it as a fajita salad on a bed of lettuce, with a low carb tortilla, or as a fajita bowl on a serving of hot cauliflower rice. Top with keto friendly toppings like cheese, avocado, and sour cream.
Gluten Free: Use the homemade fajita blend OR purchase gluten-free seasoning. Use gluten free or corn tortillas, OR serve as a fajita salad or fajita bowl with rice.
Dairy Free: The recipe as written is completely dairy free. To keep it that way, select toppings and tortillas that are dairy free (most tortillas are). Dairy free cheese, dairy free sour cream, salsa, guacamole, pico de gallo, etc are all great options.
Meal Prep: Layer the chicken fajita filling on a bed of rice or lettuce. Add a flour or corn tortilla (if desired) and contains for salsa, sour cream, or guacamole if desired. Top with cheese.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use whatever toppings you like on your fajitas, according to your tastes and favorite flavor combinations. A few of the most popular toppings include salsa, sour cream, guacamole, cheese, pico de gallo, and finely diced onion.
Chicken fajitas are healthy because they include a lot of fiber-rich vegetables, as well as ample protein from the chicken breast. They can be served with healthier options as far as toppings and tortillas go, and they are generally a satisfying, healthy, and family friendly dinner idea.
Yes, you can put raw chicken in an air fryer. Just be sure to follow the recipe instructions and cook the chicken to a minimal internal temperature of 165ºF (74ºC)
More Air Fryer Dinner Recipes
- Air Fryer Sausage and Peppers
- Air Fryer Salmon Patties
- Ham and Cheese Sliders in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Air Fryer Italian Sausage
- 1 pound (454g) chicken breast, cut into strips (approximately 2 breasts)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 large yellow or white onion, peeled and cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon (15mL) avocado oil (or another neutral oil)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat your air fryer to 390ºF (200ºC) for at least 3 minutes, or according to your manufacturers instructions.
- Add the oil and fajita seasonings to a large bowl. Whisk well to combine, then add in the chicken. Toss well to coat the chicken in the oil and seasoning.
- Add in the sliced onion and bell peppers. Toss well to coat them lightly in the oil and seasoning.
- Add to the basket of your air fryer, and cook for 15-17 minutes, shaking the basket at the halfway point.
- Cook until an internal temperature of 165ºF (74ºC) is reached in the thickest parts of the chicken pieces.
- Remove from the air fryer and serve immediately.
In Batches: If your air fryer is smaller, you may want to try cooking your fajitas in batches to ensure everything is evenly cooked.
Using Store Bought Seasoning: Sub the spices for 1 packet or 2 shallow tablespoons of store bought seasoning.
Serving suggestions: The traditional way to serve fajitas is with flour tortillas, sour cream, cheese, pico de gallo, cilantro, etc.
If you want to keep this dish keto and low carb, you can serve on top of a salad, alongside some steamed veggies, or with cauliflower rice. You could also serve it traditional style with a low carb tortilla.
To keep your chicken fajitas gluten free, serve over hot cooked rice, with a gluten free tortilla, or on top of a bed of lettuce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 259Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 523mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 37g
Please note that some of my blog posts here at Dash for Dinner may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I will get a small commission at no additional cost to you. Please see my Disclaimer for more information.