This easy recipe for Cuppa Cake is from the movie Steel Magnolias. It uses 3 simple ingredients: flour, sugar, and fruit cocktail! Just 5 minutes of prep time means you can have this easy cake in the oven in no time flat.
Cuppa cake, also known as cuppa cuppa cake or cuppa cuppa cuppa cake, is a sweet little tidbit given to us by Dolly Parton's character (Truvy Jones) in the movie Steel Magnolias.
She shares this recipe with Clairee Belcher, who is in her beauty salon, along with many of the other women in their small town (including the character Julia Roberts plays - Shelby). If you've seen the movie you know this is a hub for gossip, advice, sharing, love, and loss.
Oh, that's simple...That's a cuppa flour, a cuppa sugar, a cuppa fruit cocktail (with the juice), and you mix and bake at 350 until gold and bubbly!"Dolly Parton as Truvy Jones, Steel Magnolia's
I knew I had to try this recipe because Steel Magnolias happens to be my absolute favorite movie of all time! And once I tried Truvy's signature cuppa cake? I was in love! This cake was not only easy, but delicious too.
Reasons to Make This Recipe
- It's only 3 simple ingredients!
- Cuppa cake is the perfect dessert for last-minute guests! It takes just minutes to prepare and is made with pantry staples.
- It's ideal for having a mini Steel Magnolias party. Put on the movie, enjoy some cuppa cake, and paint your nails. All while imagining yourself at Truvy's Beauty Stop gossiping with the girls.
- This easy cake recipe with satisfy your sweet tooth and envelope you in the decadent flavors of old-fashioned Southern yellow cake.
- Fruit cocktail: You'll need 1 cup of fruit cocktail, including the juice. This works out to a little bit more than ½ of a 15-ounce can.
- Sugar: A full cup of granulated sugar is one of the "cuppas" in this recipe.
- Self-rising flour: Make sure you are using self-rising for this recipe (or self-raising flour in the UK). You won't get the needed rise from regular flour. I have a self-rising flour recipe for those of you who might not have it on hand.
- Medium baking dish: If you're doubling the recipe you can use a 9X13" baking dish, but if you're making the single recipe use a smaller pan so the cake doesn't spread out. I recommend an 8X8" or 7.6X6" baking dish.
How to Make Cuppa Cuppa Cuppa Cake
Before you get started, make sure to preheat the oven to 350ºF and lightly grease a medium baking dish.
Step one: Add a full cup of fruit cocktail (including the juice) into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
Step two: Add in the sugar and self-rising flour.
Step three: Mix everything together until creamy and well combined.
Step four: Add the mixture to the prepared baking dish, smoothing it out in an even layer.
Step five: Bake in the preheated oven for 25-35 minutes, or until "gold and bubbly." It's done when a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake.
As soon as you pull this cuppa cuppa cuppa cake out of the oven, you'll be met with the cozy aroma of grandma. Sweet, fruity, and delicious smells give a hint of the rich flavors that are soon to tempt your taste buds.
I serve it over ice cream to cut the sweetness!Dolly Parton as Truvy Jones, Steel Magnolias
I like to serve this sweet treat with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a dollop of whipped cream, or even just on its own.
If you want to up the ante for guests, you could even try a homemade caramel vanilla frosting for a decadent and moist caramel cake.
This easy cake that calls for just a cup o' flour, a cup o' fruit cocktail, and a cup o' sugar is perfect for any time of the day. Just as welcome as a sweet breakfast as it is an after-dinner dessert.
- Measure the fruit cocktail with the same proportion of fruit and juice as in the can. The easiest way to do this is to stir the can contents really well. Then use a large spoon to transfer some to a measuring cup.
- Use self-rising flour for the best results. If you don't have self-rising flour, you can make your own with baking powder and salt.
- If you want to double the recipe for a large crowd, use a 9X13 baking dish. Keep in mind that this cake is really rich, so a little goes a long way!
More Easy Recipes
- John Wayne Casserole
- Lazy Cheesecake Salad
- No Bake Chocolate Chip Cheesecake
- Red, White and Blue Cheesecake Salad
- Layered Cream Cheese and Salsa Dip
- Lunch Lady Brownies - Life in the Lofthouse
Cuppa Cake (From Steel Magnolias)
- Medium baking dish 8 X 8" or 7.5 X 6"
- 1 cup fruit cocktail including the juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup self-rising flour or homemade self-rising flour
- Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and lightly grease an 8 X 8" square baking dish, or a 7 X 6.5" rectangular dish.
- Add the fruit cocktail (including the juices) to a medium-sized mixing bowl, along with the sugar and self-rising flour.
- Stir everything together until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes (using an 8X8" dish will take less time than using a 7.5X6 dish). The cake is done when it is "golden and bubbly" and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve with ice cream, a dollop of whipped cream, or frosting.
Please note that some of my blog posts here at Dash for Dinner may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I will get a small commission at no additional cost to you. Please see my Disclaimer for more information.