This quick and easy meal idea is perfect for lunch or a light dinner! You need just a few ingredients, and it's picky eater approved. Air Fryer Quesadillas are SO simple, and so effortless. You're not going to want to make them any other way ever again!
Please note that some of my blog posts here at Dash for Dinner may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I will get a small commission at no additional cost to you. Please see my Disclaimer for more information.
We have long loved Quesadillas in this home. They are the perfect budget-friendly, quick, and easy meal idea. You can serve them as is for lunch, or alongside some rice and vegetables for an easy and complete dinner.
While quesadillas are ALREADY a super simple meal, they are made even easier in the Air Fryer. I couldn't believe how simple and how toasty these turned out, and this will be the only way I make quesadillas from now on. Yes, they are that easy.
If you have a basket style air fryer (like I do), you will only be able to make one quesadilla at a time. This is an easy fix; you will just have to repeat the process until all of your quesadillas are cooked. Since the basket will be hot, you will not need to preheat the air fryer in between batches. If you have an oven style air fryer, you will be able to make 2-4 quesadillas at a time.
- Tortillas: You will need two tortillas (or one large tortilla, folded in half) for each quesadilla you plan on making. While many prefer to use flour tortillas, you can use corn tortillas if desired.
- Cheese: Plan to use about ¼ cup - ⅓ cup of shredded cheese for each quesadilla. A blend of Monterey Jack and cheddar is preferred, but you can use whatever you have on hand!
- Cooking Spray: Any neutral tasting cooking spray or oil mister will work. We use avocado oil for its stability and neutral taste.
- Optional: Your favorite quesadilla fillings, toppings, and sauces. See the list further down for some suggestions!
How to Make a Quesadilla in an Air Fryer
Preheat your air fryer to 400F for at least 3 minutes, or according to your manufacturers instructions.
Spray one side of the tortilla, and place it, oiled side down, into the preheated basket of your air fryer.
Top with ¼ cup to ⅓ cup shredded cheese. If you are adding any fillings such as chicken, jalapenos, or corn, add them on top of the cheese.
Lightly spray the other tortilla with cooking spray on just one side.
Place the tortilla on top of the cheese layer, the oiled side facing up.
To keep the quesadilla in place, add a heat proof trivet on top. This weighs down the tortilla and keeps everything from flying around. I tested MANY methods, and this yielded the best results in my Ninja basket style air fryer. I used one that came with one of my Instant Pots, but this style here is very similar if you don't have one on hand.
Cook for 4-6 minutes, flipping at the half way point for even browning if desired.
Once the tortilla is golden and the cheese is melted, use a pair of tongs to remove the trivet and a spatula to lift the quesadilla out of the air fryer.
Let cool for 2-3 minutes, then use a pizza cutter to cut into four triangles.
Serve and enjoy with your favorite toppings and sauces!
Best Fillings for Cheese Quesadillas
- Refried beans
- Shredded cooked chicken
- Shredded cooked beef
- Chopped jalapeno
- Chopped ancho chilies
- Green onions
- Fire roasted corn
- Cooked black beans
Toppings and Sauces
Frequently Asked Questions
A blend of cheddar and Monterey Jack works best for cheese quesadillas, although you can use any melty cheese you have on hand. It is recommended to use home grated cheese, but you can use pre-shredded cheese if desired.
Depending on the model of your air fryer, as well as the temperature, quesadillas will take anywhere from 4-8 minutes to cook thoroughly.
To reheat, use the "reheat" function if your air fryer has one. If not, cook at 350F for 1-2 minutes.
More Easy Air Fryer Meals
Air Fryer Quesadillas
- 2 medium 8" flour tortillas
- ¼-1/3 cup shredded cheese
- Cooking spray or oil misting spray
- Optional fillings and toppings: shredded chicken, shredded beef, refried beans, jalapenos, etc.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400F according to your manufacturers instructions.
- Spray one side of one of the tortillas, and place the oiled side down in the basket or tray of the preheated air fryer.
- Top with the shredded cheese, then any desired fillings such as chicken, beans, corn, or jalapenos.
- Spray one side of the remaining tortilla and place it on top of the shredded cheese and fillings, with the oiled side facing up.
- Place an oven safe metal trivet on top of the quesadilla to hold the tortilla down. Alternatively, you can spear several toothpicks through the layers to hold everything in place.
- Cook in the air fryer for 4-6 minutes, or until the tortillas are golden and the cheese is melted and gooey. Optionally, you can flip at the halfway point to ensure even browning, but it isn't necessary if you just want to a quick meal.
- Remove the hot trivet using a pair of tongs, and remove the quesadilla using a large spatula.
- Place the quesadilla on a cutting board and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes before cutting into quarters with a pizza cutter or sharp knife.