This easy Air Fryer Chicken and Vegetables recipe is the perfect way to make a healthy dinner any night of the week. Not only is it quick and easy, but it's also delicious - meaning it's one for the whole family. Serve it up with rice, low-carb cauliflower rice, or just as it is! Great for meal prep.
I'm always looking for easy and quick meals that are also healthy and satisfying. Enter in this flavorful and flavor-packed Air Fryer Chicken and Vegetables recipe.
After making this at least 10 times, I have to say it's one of my favorite healthy recipes. Perfect for a simple and satisfying dinner or batch prepping for some healthy weekly meal prep!
I've included my favorite blend of simple seasonings (the same ones I use on my unbreaded air fryer chicken tenders), but feel free to use your favorite blend of spices. Although I highly recommend you try my suggestions first of course!
Why You'll Love This Recipe:
- Healthy. It's the perfect healthy dinner recipe - you get protein, fiber, and veggies all in one dish.
- Super quick. With the first batch ready in just 15-20 minutes, this easy recipe is a great way to fit a nutritious meal into your weeknight meal plan.
- Perfect for meal prep. Just batch-cook some early in the week, then portion into meal prep containers with white rice or cauliflower rice and you're good to go!
- Easy to customize. I've included my favorite blend of seasonings, but you could use cajun seasoning, ranch seasoning, an Italian blend, chili powder, or whatever you like best.
- Chicken: I recommend using boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, but I think boneless and skinless chicken thighs would work just as well.
- Broccoli: This gets lovely toasted edges in the air fryer - it's SO good! You'll need 1 bunch of broccoli or about 4 ½ cups of florets.
- Bell pepper: Use your favorite type of bell pepper. I prefer red because the sweetness and bright color add the perfect contrast.
- Zucchini: Yellow squash could also be used if preferred.
- Onion: You will need one small chopped onion or one-half of a large onion.
- Seasonings: Paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, kosher salt, and black pepper.
- Olive oil: Feel free to substitute this for avocado oil or the oil of your choice.
- Parmesan cheese: This is optional, but does add a nice flavor and saltiness.
Check the recipe card for a full list of ingredients and the quantities needed.
- Air fryer: This recipe works for basket models, as well as oven-style models with a tray. For the best results, line the basket or tray with parchment paper or air fryer liners.
This easy air fryer chicken and veggies is one of my go-to recipes when we want a quick dinner that is also healthy. It's the perfect example of a busy weeknight meal that's also nourishing and satisfying.
Step one: Add the olive oil and seasonings to a large bowl. Stir until well combined.
Step two: Cut the chicken breast into 1 ½" chunks and place in the oil and seasoning mixture. Toss to coat the chicken in the seasoned oil.
Step three: Add the chopped vegetables, in batches if needed.
Step four: Toss the vegetables with the seasoned chicken, lightly coating them with the residual oil mixture.
Step five: Line an air fryer basket or tray with parchment paper. Transfer half of the chicken and vegetable mixture to the lined basket and spread it into a single layer.
Step six: Cook in an air fryer that has been preheated to 400ºF (204ºC) for 10 minutes, turning and tossing halfway through to promote even cooking.
Once the thickest part of each chicken piece reaches a minimum internal temperature of 165ºF (74ºC) it's fully cooked.
Step seven: Sprinkle on the parmesan cheese (if desired), then serve or transfer to a bowl to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining half of the chicken and vegetables.
Transfer any leftover chicken and vegetables to an airtight storage container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheating: Warm in the microwave in 30-second intervals until heated through, OR in the air fryer using the "reheat" function for 2-4 minutes.
Meal Prep: Portion rice (or the side of your choice) into meal prep containers, along with a portion of chicken and vegetables. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave in 30-second intervals.
Whether you want to make this air fryer chicken and veggies recipe for an easy weeknight dinner, OR as a healthy meal prep idea, it's made even more satisfying by serving something on the side.
Here are a few options:
- Cauliflower rice
- Zucchini noodles
- Hearts of Palm noodles
- Pasta (regular, low-carb, or gluten-free)
- Brown rice
CAN I USE DIFFERENT VEGETABLES?
Yes! This easy recipe is a game changer when it comes to a healthier option for dinner. If you want to switch up the flavors, you can try experimenting with different seasonings or vegetables for a whole new experience.
For the best results, try to use vegetables that are softer and similar to the ones included in the original recipe. This is because the vegetables chosen are quick-cooking, making them a good companion to chicken, which is also quick-cooking.
- Carrots (cut into sticks or sliced)
- Snap peas
- Green beans
- Cherry tomatoes
- Yellow squash
- Green peppers
- Root vegetables (see note*)
- Sweet potatoes
*Note: If you want to make air fryer chicken with root vegetables, it's very important to cut the vegetables into smaller pieces. That's because root vegetables cook more slowly, so smaller pieces will help them to cook at a similar rate to the chicken pieces. A little drizzle of maple syrup makes this version extra autumnal.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Use parchment paper. This helps make clean-up a breeze and prevents any liquids from falling down into the air fryer. You can also purchase air fryer liners which are custom-sized for the most popular types of air fryers.
- Check the internal temperature. Really the only way to know chicken is cooked through is by checking the internal temperature. For this reason, a digital thermometer is a mainstay in my kitchen. Chicken is cooked through when it reaches a minimum internal temperature of 165ºF (74ºC) at the thickest portion.
- Use oil. While many people like to exclude oil from their cooking, olive oil (or avocado oil) is an essential ingredient here. It promotes even cooking, provides flavor, prevents vegetables from burning, and increases satisfaction. The combo of healthy fats + protein + fiber keeps you feeling full and satisfied.
If you loved this recipe for Air Fryer Chicken and Vegetables, let me know by leaving a 5-star review in the recipe card or comment below! You can also tag me on Instagram @dashfordinner.
Air Fryer Chicken and Vegetables
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound/454 grams)
- 1 bunch broccoli cut into florets (approx. 1 ½-2 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 zucchini cut into half-moons
- 1 small onion coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried basil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the air fryer to 400ºF for at least 3 minutes, or according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Add the olive oil to a large bowl, along with the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, kosher salt, and black pepper. Whisk well to combine.
- Cut the chicken breast into 1-1 ½” cubes, then add to the seasoned olive oil mixture. Toss well to coat the chicken.
- Add the broccoli florets, bell pepper, zucchini, and chopped onion to the bowl, and toss well to distribute the seasoning and oil on the vegetables as well.
- Transfer half of the mixture to the preheated air fryer basket, spreading it into an even layer.
- Cook for 10 minutes, turning the chicken pieces halfway through, and stirring the vegetables to encourage even browning.
- Remove from the air fryer and check the thickest portion of each chicken piece for a minimum internal temperature of 165ºF.
- Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a clean bowl and repeat with the remaining chicken and vegetable mixture.
- Serve warm, garnishing with parmesan cheese if desired.
Please note that some of my blog posts here at Dash for Dinner may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I will get a small commission at no additional cost to you. Please see my Disclaimer for more information.