Making sliced bacon in the Instant Pot is EASY, and makes for a simple cleanup. The high sides of the Instant Pot make for little grease splatter, and it's a convenient option too! Instant Pot Bacon is perfect for Instant Pot beginners and experts alike. You'll also learn how to make quick and easy bacon bits for using in your favorite recipes.
Please note that some of my blog posts here at Dash for Dinner may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I will get a small commission at no additional cost to you. Please see my Disclaimer for more information.
I have to be honest, I'm kind of loving all of these awesome kitchen gadgets that have come to market in recent years! These kitchen helpers are becoming common place in more and more households, and they truly are helping us make dinner more efficiently. This is the whole heart and drive behind Dash For Dinner, since we focus on oven free recipes. I figured, lets get it started with a simple and fun recipe to try in your Instant pot: Bacon!
Can You Cook Bacon in an Instant Pot?
If you're new to the Instant Pot world, you may think that you have to use the pressure function for all Instant Pot recipes, but there are some great features that will help you make the most of this awesome time saver. One of those functions is the sauté function. This will help you make crispy, yummy meals that you didn't know were possible in an electric pressure cooker.
One of those recipes is for cooking bacon in the Instant Pot. You're going to love how easy this method is, and you're going to love the minimal grease splatter afforded by the high sides of the Instant Pot.
How to Make Crispy Bacon in the Instant Pot
All you need to get started is an Instant Pot and a package of bacon!
You're going to start by cutting your bacon slices in half. This makes it easier for them to fit into the bottom of the Instant Pot without overlapping. If you're using an 8qt Instant Pot, you may be able to leave your bacon slices whole. If you're using a 6qt, you'll do best to cut them in half.
Then, set your Instant Pot to the "saute" function and press the button until the "high" option is highlighted.
Set the timer for 30 minutes.
Let your Instant Pot preheat for a few minutes, and then use a pair of tongs to place 4-6 bacon slice halves into the bottom of the pot.
Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until browned and lightly crisp on one side.
Use the tongs to flip the bacon over, and cook on the other side for 1-3 minutes, or until as crispy as you like it.
Remove the bacon and transfer the slices to a paper towel lined plate or tray.
Repeat with the remaining bacon slices, working in batches until all the bacon is cooked through.
BONUS: How to Make Bacon Bits
If you have any leftover Instant Pot Bacon slices, you may want to make up some bacon bits! This is a tasty addition to salads, casseroles, and more! It's so easy to make using just a food processor.
Add the desired amount of bacon slices to the bowl of a food processor.
Secure the lid.
Pulse the food processor several times, or until the bacon is broken down into small pieces.
Use immediately, or transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Recipes Using Bacon Bits:
- Crispy Cheese and Bacon Potatoes - Barefeet in the Kitchen
- Loaded Mashed Potato Balls - Centsless Deals
- Bacon Cheddar Pinwheels - Lemon Tree Dwelling
- Warm Crack Chicken Dip - Plain Chicken
No, you don't need to cook bacon with a lid. Since bacon grease can spatter, you may want to use a spatter shield to protect yourself. You can also use high sided cookware to prevent bacon grease from spattering onto your skin.
As a best practice, you should eat refrigerated bacon within 3 days. Always store it in a covered or sealed container for the best results.
Yes! If you've cooked up a batch of bacon, you can freeze the bacon in flat layers, lined with waxed paper or parchment paper. Use an additional sheet of parchment or waxed paper for each layer. Store in an airtight freezer bag and use within 3 months.
Instant Pot Bacon
- 12 slices Bacon cut in half
- Plug in your Instant Pot and remove the lid.
- Select the "Saute" feature and press the button again until the "high" option has a red light under it. Set the timer for 30 minutes.
- Let your Instant Pot preheat for 2-3 minutes. Meanwhile, if you haven't already, cut your bacon slices in half. This allows them to fit into the bottom of the Instant Pot without overlapping.
- Once your Instant Pot is preheated, add 4-6 bacon slice halves into the bottom of the Instant Pot. Cook on one side for 2 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Use a pair of tongs to flip the bacon to the other side, and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until crisp and browned.
- Use the tongs to remove the bacon and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Repeat until all of your bacon slices are cooked through. Enjoy!