These easy Air Fryer Hot Dogs are ready in just 6 minutes (including the toasted bun!). An easy summer comfort food made in your Air Fryer for ultra convenience. Enjoy this American classic year round and topped with your favorite condiments! We love sauerkraut and chopped onions especially 😋
Please note that some of my blog posts here at Dash for Dinner may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I will get a small commission at no additional cost to you. Please see my Disclaimer for more information.
Using the oven during the hot summer months is NOT FUN. I love the Air Fryer during this time of year more than any other. It enables me to actually serve my family delicious, warm meals without heating up my home. Since we don’t have air conditioning, this is so crucial for our summertime comfort! Although summer is coming to a close, I still love using my Air Fryer for making quick and easy meals.
Air Fryer hot dogs are one of those quick and easy meals. Including the toasting of the buns, this meal is ready to go in about 10 minutes. All I need to do is lay out my family’s favorite toppings and a quick and easy side. A store made salad or even a handful of potato chips will do the job in a pinch, but on days that aren’t so cramped I love making some French fries and a homemade salad earlier in the day to serve up later.
You’re going to love how easy it is to get this picky-eater-friendly meal on the table. Hot dogs are a classic summertime comfort food, and with the Air Fryer you can enjoy them all year round!
Can I put hot dogs in the air fryer?
Yes! Hot dogs are the perfect fit for the air fryer. Since hot dogs are already precooked, they need just a quick warming up and a short cooking time to brown the outsides.
How long does it take to cook hot dogs in the air fryer?
If you cook your hot dogs at 400F, they should be finished in 4-6 minutes, depending on the make and model of your particular air fryer. Always be sure to preheat the air fryer for best results.
- Hot Dogs: I like to use standard or all beef hot dogs. You will need as many as you would like hot dogs. I’ve prepared 4 here, but you can add as many hot dogs as you can fit in a single layer in your air fryer!
- Hot Dog Buns: I like to use the New England style buns, but you can use any kind that you prefer! These are optional, assuming you like to eat your hot dogs on a bun. You can also use a piece of sandwich bread, or just dip the hot dogs into your favorite toppings!
Making these Air Fryer Hot Dogs is SUCH a simple process. This is my go-to easy meal idea for those crazy busy days. In just 6 minutes I can have yummy, picky-eater-friendly hot dogs on the table. Served with a favorite side, or even something as simple as a handful of potato chips, these air fryer hot dogs fit the bill!
To get started, preheat your air fryer to 400F for 3 minutes according to your manufacturers instructions.
Once the air fryer is preheated, remove the basket and place it on a tea towel or trivet.
Use a pair of metal tongs to transfer the hot dogs into the air fryer basket.
Return the basket to the air fryer and cook for 4 minutes. If possible, stop the time halfway through and shake the basket. This isn’t necessary, but does ensure even browning.
Remove the hot dogs to a plate and cover with foil. This will keep them warm as you toast the buns, if desired.
How to Toast Hot Dog Buns in an Air Fryer
If you’d like to toast your hot dog buns in the air fryer, simply add your hot dog buns to the basket of the air fryer.
Return the basket to the air fryer and cook at 400F for 2 minutes.
If you are toasting the hot dog buns immediately after cooking your hot dogs, you do not need to preheat the air fryer. If you are toasting the buns after has some time has passed, OR toasting them before you prepare your hot dogs, ensure to preheat the air fryer for 3 minutes according to your manufacturers instructions.
Vegetarian or Vegan: Use veggie hot dogs in place of the regular hot dogs in this recipe. Verify your hot dog buns are vegetarian and/or vegan.
Low Carb/Keto/Sugar Free: Omit the hot dog bun and dip the hot dog into your favorite low carb toppings. Sugar free ketchup, mustard, and dill relish are all good options. You could also make up a batch of these Keto Hot Dog Buns from Mama Bear’s Cookbook. Verify that your hot dogs of choice are free from fillers, if that is concerning to you.
Gluten Free: Select a hot dog that is free from fillers and labeled as “gluten free”. Either purchase gluten free hot dog buns, or make your own using this recipe.
Chili Dogs: Follow this recipe for Hot Dog Chili and serve on your air fryer hot dogs.
Chicago-Style: Use a poppyseed bun, and top with mustard, relish, onions, chopped tomato, a pickle spear, peppers, and a dash of celery salt.
New England Style: Serve with ketchup, mustard, relish, piccalilli, and chopped onions served on a top cut bun.
Seattle Style: Serve with cream cheese.
- Instant Pot Passion Tea Lemonade
- Instant Pot Lemonade (coming soon)
- The Best Easy Air Fryer French Fries – Sweet C’s Designs
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries – Feel Good Foodie
- Plain potato chips
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
- Optional toppings: ketchup, mustard, relish, diced onions, sauerkraut, etc.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F, according to your manufactures instructions. I preheat my Ninja for 3 minutes.
- Use a pair of metal tongs to transfer 4 hot dogs into the basket of your air fryer.
- Cook for 4 minutes, shaking the basket half way through if possible.
- Remove the hot dogs using a pair of metal tongs. Place them on a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Immediately add the hot dog buns to the basket of the air fryer and cook on 400F for 2 minutes. Preheating is not necessary if you are placing the buns in directly after removing the cooked hot dogs.
- Serve the hot dogs inside of the toasted buns with your favorite toppings.
You can make more than 4 hot dogs at a time using the air fryer! You can add as many hot dogs as you can fit in a single layer in the basket of your air fryer. Ensure they are evenly spaced and not overlapping. You may also want to increase the cook time by a few minutes.
As for toasted buns, you will only be able to fit 4-6 buns at a time, but you can do them in batches if desired. You may also serve the hot dogs with untoasted buns.
You can cook just 1-2 hot dogs in the air fryer with the buns at the same time. Remove the buns after 2 minutes of cooking time, then return the basket with the hot dogs to the air fryer and finish an additional 2 minutes of cooking time.
Serving Size:1 hot dog and bun
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 666mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 11g