This easy recipe for Mayo and Parmesan Chicken results in juicy, flavorful chicken every single time! Made with just a few simple ingredients, this mayonnaise parmesan chicken is perfect for weeknight dinners. Just spread a herby mayo mixture on top of chicken breasts, then you're ready to bake until golden brown! Keto, low carb, and gluten-free.
I've been making this recipe for many years now, long ago adapted from something I found in a low carb and keto cookbook. My version includes a blend of Italian-inspired seasonings and extra parmesan cheese, making for a herby mayo and parmesan crusted chicken dish.
As the main cook in my family, I love this mayo parmesan chicken recipe because it is ultra-easy. All I have to do is mix together mayonnaise, herbs, and some parmesan cheese.
Spread that yummy mixture on top of some basic boneless, skinless chicken breasts and dinner is in the oven! The mayonnaise works its magic, and the chicken comes out with a delicious melt-in-your-mouth texture.
But the best part? This delicious recipe also happens to be packed with protein, low carb, keto, and gluten-free, which means all of the members of the family can eat the same meal together.
And for those that like a little crunchy topping? Feel free to add a sprinkle of breadcrumbs, crushed pork rinds, or a mix of parmesan cheese and almond flour.
Why You'll Love It:
- It's an easy recipe that uses just a few simple ingredients!
- Perfect for busy weeknights because of the easy prep - just mix, spread, and bake.
- This easy dinner recipe is great for those who are low carb, gluten free, or keto.
- Even picky eaters will like it! This melt-in-your-mouth chicken is a family favorite.
- Chicken breasts: You will need 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Those that are a bit smaller work better than larger, thicker ones. If yours are large, just place them between two layers of plastic wrap and pound them with a meat mallet until they are flattened.
- Mayonnaise: This creates a delicious texture and is a key recipe element! I've seen similar recipes that use Greek yogurt, but I haven't tried that myself (although I have done half and half with success).
- Parmesan cheese: I recommend using freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano, but you could use pre-shredded if you're in a pinch.
- Seasonings: A mix of dried seasonings keeps this recipe super simple. You'll need basil, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, and black pepper. Feel free to add some onion powder if you like the flavor of it.
Optional Crispy Toppings
- Breadcrumbs: Add a little sprinkle of panko or Italian bread crumbs on top for a touch of crunchiness.
- Low carb/keto/gluten-free: If you're doing low carb, try a sprinkle of crushed pork rinds or a light sprinkle of almond flour mixed with parmesan cheese.
- Sheet pan: You'll want it big enough to space the chicken breasts by at least an inch or so. I used a quarter-size USA sheet pan, but normally use a half-size USA sheet pan. If you can, using a metal baking rack will elevate the chicken and prevent it from getting soggy.
- Meat thermometer: This is an indispensable tool in the home kitchen! The best way to know if your chicken is fully cooked is to check the internal temperature. Anything 165ºF (74ºC) and above is good to go!
How to Make Chicken Breasts with Mayo and Parmesan Cheese
Step one: Add the mayonnaise, parmesan cheese, oregano, basil, thyme, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper to a small bowl.
Step two: Mix the mayonnaise mixture together until smooth and uniform.
Preparing the Chicken
Step three: Place the chicken breasts on a sheet pan, making sure they do not touch.
Step four: Spread each of the chicken breasts with ¼th of the mayo and parmesan mixture.
Baking the Chicken
Step five: If desired, sprinkle the top of the chicken with breadcrumbs, crushed pork rinds, almond flour, or additional parmesan cheese.
Step six: Bake the chicken in an oven that has been preheated to 350ºF (177ºF) for 40-45 minutes, or until the thickest piece of each breast reaches a minimum internal temperature of 165ºF (74ºC).
Remove from the oven, serve, and enjoy!
Hint: Be sure to adjust the cooking time based on the size of the chicken breasts and according to the internal temps - you don't want to overcook!
Allow any leftovers to cool before transferring them to an airtight container (or plate wrapped with aluminum foil) and storing them in the refrigerator. Leftover chicken breasts will keep for up to 3 days.
Reheat in the microwave or in an air fryer set to 350ºF or use the “reheat” function.
Air Fryer Instructions
- Preheat the air fryer to 325ºF (163ºC) for at least 3 minutes, or according to your manufacturer's instructions.
- Working in batches if needed, spread each chicken breast with ¼th of the mayo and parmesan mixture.
- Place the chicken breasts in the air fryer, maintaining space around each one (my air fryer only fits two at a time).
- Cook for 19-25 minutes, or until the thickest part of each portion registers a minimum internal temperature of 165ºF (74ºC).
- Remove from the air fryer, and repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.
What to Serve with Mayonnaise Chicken
- Garden salad
- Caesar salad
- Steamed veggies
- Roasted veggies
- Mashed potatoes
- Mashed cauliflower
- Rice or cauli rice
- Green beans
- Baby potatoes (check out my Instant Pot version)
- Parmesan crusted potatoes
Variations and Substitutions
With Italian seasoning: If you're looking for a little bit of a shortcut, you can substitute the basil, oregano, and thyme for an equal amount of Italian seasoning (1 ¾ teaspoon).
With Greek yogurt: I haven't tested this with Greek yogurt, although I have made a version with half mayo and half Greek yogurt that worked well. I recommend a higher-fat plain Greek yogurt - about 5-8% if you can find it.
With Miracle Whip: While I haven't tested a version using this popular swap for mayo, I think it would probably work pretty well. Keep in mind that it is sweet, so if you need the recipe to be low carb you should stick with mayonnaise.
Gluten-free: The recipe as written is gluten-free. If you want to include a crispy topping try using gluten-free breadcrumbs, crushed pork rinds, or a mixture of almond flour and parmesan cheese.
More Low Carb Dinner Recipes
- Sheet Pan Smoked Sausage and Peppers
- Cilantro Lime Salmon and Veggies
- Inside Out Egg Roll (in a Bowl)
- Creamy Spinach and Mushroom Chicken
- John Wayne Casserole
If you loved this recipe for Mayo Parmesan Chicken, let me know by leaving a 5-star review in the recipe card or comment below! You can also tag me on Instagram @dashfordinner.
Mayo and Parmesan Chicken
- Sheet Pan or baking dish
- 4 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- ¾ cup mayonnaise or plain Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a sheet pan or baking dish with parchment paper.
- Place the chicken breasts on the prepared sheet pan, leaving an inch or more of space in between each one. Set aside.
- Add the mayonnaise, parmesan cheese, salt, basil, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, and black pepper to a small bowl.
- Mix the mayo, parmesan, and seasonings together until well combined.
- Spread the mayo and parmesan mixture on top of each of the chicken breasts in an even layer.
- Top with additional parmesan cheese if desired.
- Bake the chicken in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches a minimum of 165ºF at the thickest part.
- For an ultra-crispy topping, finish by broiling for 1-2 minutes.
Please note that some of my blog posts here at Dash for Dinner may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I will get a small commission at no additional cost to you. Please see my Disclaimer for more information.