This French Bread Pizza recipe is the easiest way to have a pizza night! Ready in less than 20 minutes and picky eater approved.
Oh, and don't forget to try my easy recipe for English Muffin Pizzas next time.
One of my family's favorite meals is this easy French Bread Pizza. I mean, it's pizza, so of course it's going to be a hit!
Cheesy, crusty, and chewy, this pizza bread is the perfect solution to busy weeknights. All you need is a quick trip to the grocery store to grab a loaf of French bread, some pizza sauce, cheese, and toppings - then you've got everything you need to skip the drive-thru and have dinner at home instead.
Reasons To Love This Recipe:
- It's perfect for pizza night. All you need are a few simple ingredients, and you're ready to get started.
- Quick and easy. Don't have enough time for homemade pizza dough, but you're craving something more than frozen pizza? This recipe is the perfect solution!
- Customizable. No need to agree on the toppings, cheese, or sauce. Each family member can pick their favorite combo, then bake and enjoy together.
- Easy meal. French bread pizza is perfect for busy weeknights - just assemble, bake, and add an easy side like a bagged salad or fresh veggies and dip.
- Bread: You'll want a large, crusty loaf of bread. French bread is most typically used, but Italian bread or Sourdough works well too.
- Garlic butter: This can be purchased, OR you can make your own. I've included a quick and easy recipe in the recipe card for you!
- Pizza sauce: Use your favorite brand of pizza sauce, homemade pizza sauce, or marinara sauce.
- Shredded cheese: I recommend using a pre-shredded blend of cheese (pizza or Italian blend) for convenience. If you want to shred your own, use 2 ¼ cups of shredded mozzarella + ¼ cup of shredded parmesan cheese.
- Toppings: You can use classic pepperoni or any combination of your favorite pizza toppings.
Check the recipe card for a full list of ingredients and the quantities needed.
- Large baking sheet: Since French loaves are quite large, you'll need a large baking sheet in order to fit both sides at once. A standard half-sheet pan works (we like USA brand sheet pans).
- Parchment paper: This makes for such an easy cleanup! I buy pre-cut sheets to avoid waste and make dinner time simple.
Step one: Cut the loaf of French Bread in half and spread with softened garlic butter (or brush with melted garlic butter).
Bake in a 450ºF (232ºC) oven for 8 minutes, or until lightly toasted.
Step two: Spread each half with ½ cup of your favorite pizza sauce.
Topping the Pizza Bread
Step three: Top each half with approximately 1 ¼ cups of shredded cheese, for a total of 2 ½ cups used.
Step four: Add your favorite pizza toppings such as pepperoni, mushrooms, green pepper, sausage, bacon, etc.
Step five: Bake for another 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Step six: Allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Pizza Topping Ideas
Whether you want to go for the classic pepperoni pizza vibe or get seriously creative, you can achieve your flavor dreams with custom toppings.
- Pepperoni slices
- Crumbled Italian sausage
- Bacon bits
- Green peppers
- Red onion
- Fresh basil
- Sundried tomatoes
- Roasted red peppers
- Caramelized onions
- Red pepper flakes
- Feta cheese
- Fresh mozzarella slices
Storing and Reheating
Transfer any leftovers to an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheating: The best results come from reheating the leftovers in an oven or an air fryer (350ºF for 4-10 minutes), but you can also reheat in the microwave in 30-second intervals until warmed through.
Air Fryer Instructions
If you have an oven-style model air fryer (I like the Cuisinart Air Fryer) you may be able to fit the French bread halves in fairly easily. If you have a basket model, you will have to cut the pieces to size and work in batches.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400ºF.
- Cut the bread to size (if needed) and spread with garlic butter.
- Cook in the air fryer for 2-4 minutes, or until toasted.
- Remove from the air fryer and top with pizza sauce, shredded cheese, and the toppings of your choice.
- Return to the air fryer and cook for another 4-6 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Note: Since air fryers have a fan inside, some models blow the cheese and toppings around significantly. This can be avoided by using a toaster oven-style option instead.
BBQ Chicken: Use barbecue sauce in place of the tomato sauce, sprinkle on a blend of mozzarella and gouda cheeses, and top with shredded cooked chicken and sliced red onions.
Margherita: Use your favorite pizza or San Marzano tomato sauce, then top with fresh mozzarella slices and bake as directed. When the French bread pizza is removed from the oven add chopped fresh basil, a drizzle of olive oil, and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.
Using deli rolls: For individual serving size, you can easily make this recipe with deli roll halves (or check out my recipe for English muffin pizzas).
More Easy Dinner Ideas
If you loved this recipe for French Bread Pizza, let me know by leaving a 5-star review in the recipe card or comment below! You can also tag me on Instagram @dashfordinner.
French Bread Pizza
- 1 loaf French bread split lengthwise
- ¼ cup garlic butter* softened or melted
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 2 ½ cups shredded cheese, pizza blend or 2 ¼ cups mozzarella + ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Toppings of choice pepperoni, mushrooms, green peppers, crumbled bacon, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Place both halves of the French bread on the baking sheet, and spread with softened garlic butter (or brush melted garlic butter).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Remove from the oven.
- Spread each half with ½ cup of pizza sauce.
- Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese blend on each half of the French bread.
- Add any toppings of your choice (pepperoni, mushrooms, etc).
- Bake in the oven for an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Slice into wedges and serve immediately.
Please note that some of my blog posts here at Dash for Dinner may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I will get a small commission at no additional cost to you. Please see my Disclaimer for more information.